Model Y Unveil Event - MEGATHREAD

• Greetings! Model 3 Owners Club is expanding! Our new name is Tesla Global Owners Club. Content remains unaffected, just a new logo, name and new domain. You'll just have to login to your existing account and carry on as before. Thank-you for your continued support! Read more here

Country
Country
Yeah, the photo on the Tesla site shows the 2 rows folded and flat. When you go to order it says 3 rows will be 2021.

MrMannilow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought I was going to be more disappointed in getting the 3 and not waiting for the Y. Come to realize my dog won't fit in either so I'm still keeping my SUV and model 3 it looks like. Higher ride hight would be nice for NY Winters though, but then again the M3 stays garaged for the winter anyway. Looks like I'll pull the trigger on the 2k FSD since I'm not interested in trading my 3 for the Y after all.

Congrats on everyone floating the 2500 order for a year and a half wait. Not really following that move but keep the Tesla train moving. I'll buy more shares with that 2500 and wait for them to hit the streets

thredge

Country
Country
I feel like they did learn the one lesson from the 3. The long piece of rear glass in the 3 really didn't provide that much bang for the buck or wow factor. The hatchback with the large panoramic glass roof was the right way to go. Would have been really nice in the 3 too.

Now you Know's ride vid kind of shows it decently.

Country
Country
It’s not clear to me what I’m gaining with the Y. It feels like extending the Model 3 waiting time another 2 years.

Love that roof for sure though! Good how you pointed out the new hatch design, which was a miss on the 3. I wonder if there’s a possibility to offer a hatch version of the 3 in the future.

KRG

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Ordered. Love the matte black trim and wheels. Don't see the wheels on the configurator so hopefully they show up at some point. If not I guess I'll powdercoat.

Country
Country
Hi @TrevP! Was there a noticeable height difference at the front seat compared to the Model 3? Just curious since it matters for those with back problems.

Also does the Y seem longer or wider than the 3?

TrevP

TGOC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Hi @TrevP! Was there a noticeable height difference at the front seat compared to the Model 3? Just curious since it matters for those with back problems.

Also does the Y seem longer or wider than the 3?
The exterior is definitely taller and wider than the 3. Interior volume felt about the same at least from the front seats but the back seats are magic. Tesla put the all-glass roof from the Model S over the passengers and it really opens it up even more than the 3 does. For those wishing for a hatchback THIS is your car. Even though the trunk looks to be cut the way as the Model 3 I can confirm the rear glass is attached to to the liftgate so the opening will be much bigger than the 3.

The jump seats in the back however are VERY small. Suitable for kids but I can't see adults sitting back there. The test car (only was drivable) had one side of the jump seats down and the other side up so you could see how much room is back there. I think the Y is a perfect mix of the Model 3 and some of the X in terms of a slightly bigger interior volume. I think it will sell very well despite it looking VERY much like a Model 3 on the outside.

TrevP

TGOC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
One more question... Does there seem to be an improvement in rear window visibility? Some Model 3 owners complained about that.

Thanks for all the great info!
That's hard to ascertain as I was in the front seat but they had a VR experience where you could virtually sit in the car and I played with that. Let's put it this way, it can't be any worse than the Model X ;)

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ugh - its just too much like the 3. Everyone seems to be focusing on looks and the 3rd row, and no one on the fact that range is sub-300 for dual motor. For those of us that deal with northeast winters and want a family road-tripping car, this is unfortunate. Couple that with the lack of a power trunk at $60k and potentially no hitch, and this is most likely not the car for us. In late 2020 when the HW2.5 X100D's hit the CPO market for a comparable price, I think it will be a no brainer as to which car to pickup.